Our JRSOs from Year 6, Sam and Ronnie, announced this week to the whole school that St
John’s has once again maintained its Gold Travel Plan. Well done to everyone! We are very
proud to have maintained our Gold Standard Accreditation from Transport for London.
Our School Travel Plan, which aims to promote active, healthy, safe and sustainable travel to
school as well as educating children about road safety, has been developed in partnership
with Transport for London, through their ‘Stars’ scheme. To be accredited with ‘Gold’ status
we were committed to organising 48 separate initiatives. Our JRSOs met regularly last year
to plan, organise and evaluate events.
At St John’s we believe it’s important to encourage Active travel to and from school as this is
a great opportunity for children to take part in physical activity and at the same time reduce
harmful emissions around our school.
Here are just a few of the activities we have participated in the last year:
• Walk to School Week- to promote active travel.
• Bikeability – for Years 5 and 6 to teach basic safe cycling skills.
• Pedestrian training – basic road safety for Reception.
• Assemblies on Road Safety, Cycle Safety and train safety.
• Using Public Transport where possible for school trips
• Police visited Years 5 and 6 to speak about travelling home safely.