St John's School aims to provide a secure, stimulating and happy environment where all children and their families are encouraged to take pleasure in their learning.
As a church school St John's gives priority to the spiritual and moral development of all within its community, regardless of culture and belief. All involved at the school foster in the children a developing sense of mutual respect and responsibility based on the Christian faith and the gospel values.
All children are valued as unique individuals and are encouraged to reach their potential in all aspects of their learning. Through this learning they will contribute to the life of the school and to the wider community.
Our vision is that the children at St John's will move on to the next stage of their education with a strong sense of self worth, with enthusiasm, curiosity, resilience and a strong sense of community and love for learning.
History of St John's C of E School
(Thank you to Isobel Robinson, author of, "Spring Grove 1865-1880, Birth of a Community").
St John's School opened in 1871 on part of the present site in Portland Road, on the initiative of the Rev. Arnold Letchworth, the first Vicar of St John the Evangelist and under the auspices of the National Society. It started with eighty-five children being taught in a temporary galvanised iron building by Mrs Hammond, a local woman, assisted by one pupil teacher. The school grew rapidly – by January 1872 a hundred and forty five pupils attended a Christmas party – and by the end of 1875 the first permanent building, the Girls' School, was opened, to be followed over the next few years and further fund-raising, first by the Boys' School then by the Infants' School. The first master was W H Legg, who was to remain in post for the next forty-five years. The school buildings were improved in later years, for example by the installation of new toilets and electric lighting in 1929, and the filling in of a stagnant backwater of the Hogsmill around the same time made the whole Portland Road area much healthier.
In more recent times, 1970s plans for replacing both church and school with a linked building on the school site were abandoned, but in the 1990s, a new hall, two new classrooms and a nursery unit were added, and since then, further improvements have enhanced the school.